MEET THE GOLDIES: the event that broke down all stereotypeskampanaros
It all started in Germany in 2003, when Dimitrios Kampanaros (a Gerontology student at the time) organized along with the Heidelberg Women’s Association a special runway for women over 60 who wore clothes from their personal collections!
The venue which hosted the fashion show was a magnificent palace. The event was truly magical, as was the next one, organized a year later, at the impressive Mannheim open-air stage.
So, Dimitrios’ mind was made up to eventually organize a similar event in Greece!
After 13 years with a successful career in elderly care, both as a field professional and as a scientist, he decided to put his long-lasting dream into action.
February 22, 2019
shone as the golden day of the GOLDIES!
Their creator, Athena Matisse, a trend forecaster and a renowned fashion expert, organized an event that exceeded all expectations, even those of its sponsors, Dr. Dimitrios Kampanaros and his mother Tonia Kampanaros. The fashion show was held at the Hypatia Mansion in downtown Athens and turnout was massive.
It was the first event in the world where 50+ models and even models in their 90s strut on the catwalk wearing “haute couture” designer clothes. Even a model in a wheelchair “walked” on this runway in Haute Couture ...
The concept of the GOLDIES was inspired by the international Advanced Style movement and it supported the worldwide effort to strengthen the role of older adults in society and to give a new hope for a new life through fashion. Actors, entrepreneurs, bloggers, journalists, housewives and mothers, joined under the direction of the talented Athena Matisse who made a beautiful statement: people can have style, they can be creative, be beautiful and active at any age..
The GOLDIES broke down all stereotypes and redefined aesthetics, paving the way for something new, using only a catwalk.
The two GOLDIES MUSES of Dr. Dimitrios Kampanaros
Mrs Traute Odenwälder, a fashion icon and secretary at the Heidelberg Institute of Gerontology, his co-organizer of the initial fashion shows in Germany for the 2003-2004 season. These shows, albeit less fancy, may have been the preamble for the GOLDIES…
Mrs Lisa Zacharakis , the model who “walked” with a wheelchair on the catwalk of the GOLDIES teaches women in the lounge at Nea Thalpi to be stylish and optimistic every day.
Dr. Kampanaros quotes
A. Matisse quotes
What we saw
- ATHINA MATISSE opened the show dressed in RIANNA+NINA.
- YVONNE NTOSTA followed wearing a piece from the YVONNI NTOSTA SWIMWEAR. She was presented by the fashion agent MIA EVGENIADIS.
- EVA KANELAKI (IL PAVONE) was introduced by the blogger MARGARETE CRUZEMARK.
- Actress DIMITRA PAPADIMA donned VASILIS ZOULIAS.
- MARY MICHAILIDOU was dressed in NELLA IOANNOY.
- The journalistMARIA DEDOUSSI wore a creation by EPIFANIOS SKIATHITIS ..
- LOUΚΙΑ created the outfits worn by actress MARIA ALIFERI and business woman EVI PAPADOPOULOU. LOUKIA was also the one who created the outfit for TONIA KAMPANAROS, one of the event sponsors, who did not appear on the catwalk.
- Set designer MAGDA KALLORITI, EIRINI KOLOHOURI and actress CHRYSANTHI THEODOSIS introduced KLELIA ANDRALI owner of the fashion house with the same name.
- KRYSTALIA ASIMAKOPOULOU walked wearing a creation by VASSILIKI ROUSSOU.
- The only outfits from a men’s line were created by the SOURGIADAKIS (GIO) Fashion House and were presented by GIORGOS PECHLIVANIS and DIMITRIOS PHILON.
- The publisher FOTINI ANDROULAKI wore creations by ERIFILI NIKOLAKOPOULOU.
- 80+ ladies LISA ZACHARAKI and MARIA ROUSSOU were escorted by Nea Thalpi psychologists SMARAGDA STROUMPA and HARA KARAGIANNI, all dressed in LAKIS GAVALAS (LAK.)
- Two generations of models, JENNY ECONOMOU RIZOU and her daughter NATALIA donned IOAKEIM MITAKOS.
- FALF Fashion House created the outfits for the actress VOULA BLANDA and choreographer NALINI SPATHARAKI.
- The reporter GIOTA PAPAwore creations by the designer SAMANΤHA SOTOS.
- Art expert ALEXANDRA KOLLAROS donned creations by QUEEN CALLIOPE.
- The show continued with two queens: KATERINA YATZOGLOU and ELENI FILINI, dressed in the creations of PARIS VALTADOROS.
- Actress JULIE SOUMA chose DIMITRIS DASSIOS.
- Blogger NINA PAPAIOANNOU donned creations by ELENH MASTRAPA.
- Shortly before the event came to an and, BENETTON outfits were presented by MARGARITA TSOLAKI (yoga instructor), NATALIA VOTTI (model), CHRYSANTHI THEODOSI (actress), ROSA PETROPOULOU (actress) and ANNA LIANOPOULOU (dancer).
- The evening ended with MIMI MARSELOU who wore an outfit by NYMPHI.
What we (may) have missed
- Freddy Kalobratsos was the makeup artist.
- Manos Dourakopoulos and Sotiris Sotiriou were the hair stylists.
- Freddy Make Up Stage, Delta, Pansik schools assisted with the backstage preparations.
- Mrs. Maria Gika took care of the decoration.
- Opticals were designed specifically for the GOLDIES event by TWO EYES BY IRIDA.
- Shoes worn were by TSAKIRIS MALLAS
- Alexandros Andriotis and Fresh Foods, a gourmet catering company was responsible for catering
- Guests tasted the exquisite Bee wine by Ktima Palyvou winery.
- The GOLDIES event sponsors were Tonia Kampanaros and Dr. Dimitrios Kampanaros, owners of Nea Thalpi.